1. First Shots of the Civil War – April 15, 1861 marked the beginning of the American Civil War at the Battle of Fort Sumter in Charleston, South Carolina. This event was the first major battle of the war and ignited a four-year conflict that reshaped the nation.
2. Jackie Robinson Breaks the Color Barrier – On April 15, 1947, Jackie Robinson made his major league debut for the Brooklyn Dodgers at Ebbets Field. This was a historic moment not just for baseball, but for the entire nation as it marked the breaking of the color barrier in professional sports.
3. Hurricane Hugo Strikes – On September 22, 1989, Hurricane Hugo hit the South Carolina coast causing widespread destruction and claiming the lives of 27 people. However, initial landfall was in Puerto Rico September 17.
4. The Clemson University and University of South Carolina Rivalry – The Clemson vs South Carolina football rivalry has been played on or around April 15th several times throughout its history due to scheduling conflicts. This rivalry dates back to 1896 and is considered one of the fiercest in college football.
5. Privateer Lynx – The Privateer Lynx, a replica of a privateer ship that operated during the War of 1812, has visited South Carolina on multiple occasions, including April 15th of 2010. The ship is now a museum and educational vessel that teaches visitors about maritime history and the naval operations of the War of 1812.
5 Fun Facts About April 15 In South Carolina History
---Learn Every Day: SC Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history sc To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: SC
← Older Post Newer Post →