1. In 1775, Caesar Rodney, a prominent Delaware politician and signer of the Declaration of Independence, returned to his home state from Philadelphia in order to cast a critical vote in favor of independence from Britain.
2. In 1936, the city of Wilmington hosted a dedication ceremony for their new City Hall, which was designed by prominent architect E. William Martin.
3. In 1983, the first Delaware Shakespeare Festival was held at Rockwood Mansion in Wilmington, featuring performances of "The Comedy of Errors" and "The Taming of the Shrew."
4. In 1990, Dover native and cancer survivor Malcolm W. Jenkins was honored with a parade and reception in his hometown for his advocacy work with cancer patients and survivors.
5. In 2014, Delaware became the 20th state in the United States to legalize same-sex marriage after a court ruling overturned a previous ban on marriage equality.
- Tags: DE