1. The Battle of Germantown took place on April 19, 1777, during the American Revolution. The British forces defeated the Continental Army, but the battle was a moral victory for the Americans, as it showed that they could stand up to the British.
2. On April 19, 1861, the Pennsylvania militia volunteers left Harrisburg to join the Union Army during the Civil War.
3. One of Pennsylvania's most infamous events took place on April 19, 1894. H.H. Holmes, also known as America's first serial killer, was hanged at the Moyamensing Prison in Philadelphia for his crimes.
4. In 1933, the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission was established on April 19th. This highway system was the first of its kind in the country and transformed transportation in Pennsylvania and throughout the United States.
5. On April 19, 1960, the American Football League was founded in Philadelphia. This league was instrumental in the growth of the sport and the eventual merger with the National Football League.
5 Fun Facts About April 19 In Pennsylvania History
---Learn Every Day: PA Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history pa To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: PA
← Older Post Newer Post →