Here are 5 interesting facts about Georgia history on April 23:
1. In 1734, the first official Catholic church in Georgia, the Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, was established in Savannah.
2. In 1861, Georgia became the fifth state to secede from the Union and join the Confederacy during the Civil War.
3. In 1915, the Coca-Cola Company, which was founded in Atlanta, introduced the iconic contour bottle that would become a symbol of the brand worldwide.
4. In 1940, jazz legend Duke Ellington performed at the Municipal Auditorium in Atlanta, marking one of the first racially integrated concerts in the city.
5. In 1971, the Georgia World Congress Center, a large convention center in downtown Atlanta, opened its doors for the first time.
- Tags: GA