1. In 1855, the first territorial capital of Kansas was established in Shawnee Mission. It served as the center for territorial government until 1861, when Kansas was admitted as a state.
2. In 1874, a massive tornado swept through parts of Kansas, leaving a trail of destruction in its wake. Several towns were devastated, including the town of Gillam, which was completely wiped out.
3. On April 23, 1900, the University of Kansas defeated the University of Missouri in the first intercollegiate basketball game played in the state of Kansas. The game, played at Robinson Gymnasium in Lawrence, ended with a score of 34-31 in favor of the Jayhawks.
4. In 1910, the city of Manhattan, Kansas was electrified for the first time, bringing modern conveniences such as electric streetlights and appliances to local residents.
5. On April 23, 1945, the USS Bunker Hill was struck by two kamikaze planes during the Battle of Okinawa. The ship suffered heavy damage and over 350 sailors were killed or injured in the attack. Despite the damage, the ship remained afloat and was later repaired for use in the Korean War.
- Tags: KS