1. In 1775, Spanish monk Francisco Garces visits Tucson and becomes the first non-native person to visit the area since Father Kino's visits more than a century earlier.
2. In 1909, the Arizona State Legislature passes the first "pure food" law in the United States, requiring food products to be labeled with their ingredients.
3. In 1924, the first annual Apache Trail Hill Climb auto race is held in the Superstition Mountains east of Phoenix.
4. In 1941, construction begins on the Glen Canyon Dam on the Colorado River, which would eventually create Lake Powell.
5. In 2013, Arizona Governor Jan Brewer signs into law a bill allowing businesses to deny service to gay customers, sparking controversy and boycotts across the country. The law is later amended after widespread criticism.
- Tags: AZ