1) On August 1, 1907, Oklahoma became the 46th state of the United States. Previously designated as Indian Territory and Oklahoma Territory, the two areas were combined to form the new state.
2) On August 1, 1936, the first rodeo was held in Checotah, Oklahoma. The event was organized by local businessmen to promote the town and attract tourism.
3) On August 1, 1966, Charles Whitman shot and killed 16 people at the University of Texas at Austin. One of the victims was Karen Griffith, a 17-year-old from Sapulpa, Oklahoma.
4) On August 1, 1981, the Oklahoma City Zoo's tropical bird house caught fire, killing 170 birds. The birds included parrots, cockatiels, and macaws.
5) On August 1, 2013, Kevin Durant, a native of Washington D.C. who played for the Oklahoma City Thunder, announced a $1 million donation to tornado relief efforts in the state. The donation was made after a series of devastating tornadoes hit the state in May of 2013.
5 Fun Facts About August 1 In Oklahoma History
---Learn Every Day: OK Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ok To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OK
← Older Post Newer Post →