1. On August 13, 1907, the Board of Control of the State of Florida was created. This board oversaw the state's universities and was later replaced by the Board of Governors in 2003.
2. In 1933, Governor David Sholtz signed a bill prohibiting gambling in the state of Florida. This law remained in effect until 1979 when parimutuel betting was allowed.
3. On August 13, 1971, the first commercial flight from Orlando International Airport took off. The flight was operated by Delta Airlines and traveled to Atlanta, Georgia.
4. In 1997, Hurricane Charley made landfall in the southwestern part of the state, causing extensive damage to areas such as Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte. The storm caused $15.4 billion in damage and resulted in 10 deaths in Florida.
5. On August 13, 2004, President George W. Bush visited Pensacola to survey the damage caused by Hurricane Ivan. The storm caused significant damage to Pensacola and the surrounding areas, resulting in $18 billion in damage and 56 deaths throughout the southeastern United States.
- Tags: FL