1. In 1851, the first state fair in Indiana was held on August 15. The fair continued to be held annually, except during times of war, and eventually became known as the Indiana State Fair.
2. On August 15, 1898, the USS Indiana was launched from the shipyard in Philadelphia. The ship was named in honor of the state of Indiana and went on to serve in the Spanish-American War and World War I.
3. August 15, 1935 was a significant date in the history of aviation in Indiana. On this day, the first airplane flew into the newly constructed Indianapolis Municipal Airport, which would later become the Indianapolis International Airport.
4. In 1956, the Indiana Toll Road opened to traffic on August 15. The toll road spans 157 miles across northern Indiana and is an important transportation route for both commercial and personal vehicles.
5. On August 15, 1977, the legendary Hoosier racing driver A.J. Foyt won his fourth Indianapolis 500 race. Foyt is still considered one of the greatest drivers in the history of motorsports, and his success at the Indy 500 helped cement his status as a racing legend.
- Tags: IN