1. On August 15, 1846, the first telegraph message was sent from Providence to New York City. The message was sent by Samuel F.B. Morse and announced the arrival of the steamer Washington in New York Harbor.
2. In 1971, on August 15, the Rhode Island Lottery was established with the passage of a constitutional amendment. This made Rhode Island the first state in the US to have a state-run lottery.
3. On August 15, 1935, the Rhode Island State House was officially dedicated in Providence. The building took 11 years to construct and cost $16 million to complete.
4. In 1905, on August 15, the first automobile race was held in the US. The race was held in Narragansett and was won by Louis Chevrolet, driving a Swiss-made Pieper car.
5. On August 15, 1676, the Great Swamp Fight took place in South Kingstown. This was one of the bloodiest battles of King Philip's War, with over 300 Narragansett tribe members killed. The battle led to the destruction of many Narragansett villages and effectively ended the tribe's power and influence in southern New England.
5 Fun Facts About August 15 In Rhode Island History
---Learn Every Day: RI Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ri To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: RI
← Older Post Newer Post →