1. In 1786, the University of Georgia was established. It is the oldest and largest public university in the state and is located in Athens.
2. In 1969, Atlanta's Fulton County Stadium was opened. It was the home of the Atlanta Braves and Atlanta Falcons until they moved to Turner Field and Mercedes-Benz Stadium, respectively.
3. In 1864, a battle was fought in Griswoldville during the Civil War. The Confederate army was defeated and many casualties were suffered on both sides.
4. In 1943, a B-25 bomber crashed into Stone Mountain during a training mission. All five crew members were killed.
5. In 1920, the 19th Amendment was ratified, granting women the right to vote. This event is significant in Georgia history and the fight for women's suffrage.
- Tags: GA