1. On August 21, 1863, the Iowa 3rd Cavalry fought in the Battle of Hartville during the American Civil War. The regiment played a crucial role in securing a Union victory.
2. On August 21, 1883, the first classes were held at Iowa State Normal School, which later became the University of Northern Iowa. The school was established to train teachers for Iowa's public schools.
3. August 21, 1911, marked the birth of Arlo Guthrie in Coney Island, New York. The folk singer and songwriter spent much of his childhood in Iowa, attending school in Okoboji and briefly studying at the University of Northern Iowa.
4. On August 21, 1959, Hawkeye State Insurance Company was incorporated in Des Moines. The company provided insurance services to Iowa residents for over 50 years before it was acquired by EMC Insurance Companies.
5. August 21, 2004, saw the first annual "Bash on the Farm" music festival in Slater, Iowa. The event has since become a popular tradition, featuring local and national musical acts, food and craft vendors, and a children's area.
- Tags: IA