1. On August 23, 1775, the Battle of Musgrove Mill took place in South Carolina during the American Revolutionary War. Patriot forces led by William Campbell defeated loyalist troops under the command of Patrick Cunningham.
2. The Charleston Earthquake of 1886, one of the most significant earthquakes to hit the eastern United States, occurred on August 23. The quake, which measured 7.3 on the Richter scale, caused widespread damage and claimed over 60 lives.
3. On August 23, 1906, the first state park in South Carolina was established. Table Rock State Park, located in the Blue Ridge Mountains, features hiking trails, campgrounds, and scenic views of the surrounding area.
4. Baseball legend Hank Aaron played his final Major League Baseball game on August 23, 1976, while playing for the Milwaukee Brewers. Aaron was born in Mobile, Alabama, but spent much of his childhood in the South Carolina city of Mobile.
5. On August 23, 2010, a fire broke out at the Chesterfield County Courthouse, destroying the historic building. The courthouse, built in 1852, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and served as the center of the county's judicial system for over a century.
5 Fun Facts About August 23 In South Carolina History
---Learn Every Day: SC Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history sc To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: SC
← Older Post Newer Post →