1. On August 24, 1949, the Oklahoma Sooners football team played their first ever game in Norman, Oklahoma at Owen Field. They defeated the North Texas Mean Green with a final score of 55-0.
2. In 1968, the first Annual Arts Council Art Show and Sale was held in Tulsa, Oklahoma on August 24th. This event draws in local and national artists to showcase their work, with the proceeds going towards funding the Arts Council.
3. On August 24, 1904, the town of Texhoma, Oklahoma was incorporated. Texhoma sits at the border of Oklahoma and Texas, and is one of the only towns in the United States to be separated by a state line.
4. The Oklahoma tornado outbreak of August 24, 2011 was a devastating event, with 11 tornadoes being recorded throughout the state of Oklahoma. The most intense tornado reached a peak intensity of EF3 on the Enhanced Fujita Scale, causing widespread destruction and leaving several people injured.
5. On August 24, 1972, the first commercial natural gas well in Oklahoma was completed in Pittsburg County. This well marked the beginning of a new era in Oklahoma's energy industry, as natural gas soon became a major export for the state.
5 Fun Facts About August 24 In Oklahoma History
---Learn Every Day: OK Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ok To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OK
← Older Post Newer Post →