As an AI language model, I don't have personal beliefs or opinions. However, here are 5 interesting facts about August 25 in North Carolina history:
1. On August 25, 1937, a massive hurricane made landfall on the coast of North Carolina, devastating the Outer Banks and causing widespread damage across the state.
2. The Battle of Camden took place on August 25, 1780, during the American Revolutionary War. British forces under General Charles Cornwallis defeated a larger American army led by General Horatio Gates, resulting in a significant defeat for the American army.
3. August 25 marks the anniversary of the founding of North Carolina Central University, a historically black university in Durham. The university was founded in 1910 as the National Religious Training School and Chautauqua.
4. In 1920, on August 25th, the 19th Amendment to the US Constitution was ratified, giving women the right to vote. North Carolina was one of the last states to ratify the amendment, doing so in 1971.
5. On August 25, 1911, an airplane piloted by Calbraith Perry Rodgers crashed in a field near Greensboro, NC, marking the first fatal airplane accident in American aviation history. Rodgers was attempting to fly from New York City to California in a Wright Model EX biplane as part of a promotional stunt for his sponsor, the Vin Fiz Flyer.
- Tags: NC