1. On August 30, 1821, Spain ceded Florida to the United States, officially ending its 300-year control over the territory.
2. In 1935, a category 5 hurricane struck the Florida Keys, causing widespread devastation and claiming over 400 lives.
3. The first scheduled commercial flight from the United States to Cuba took place on August 30, 1939, departing from Miami International Airport.
4. In 1941, the USS Tarpon, a submarine of the United States Navy, was sunk by Japanese forces off the coast of the Philippines. Four Floridians were among the crew who lost their lives.
5. On August 30, 2012, Tropical Storm Isaac made landfall in southern Florida, causing significant flooding and damage in the region.
- Tags: FL