1) On August 30, 1843, the first steamboat arrived in Des Moines, Iowa, marking the beginning of a new era in transportation and commerce for the state.
2) On August 30, 1924, the Iowa State Fair set a new attendance record of over 135,000 people. This record stood for over 50 years until it was broken in the 1970s.
3) August 30, 1862 was the date of the Battle of Britton's Lane, a small but significant Civil War skirmish in the town of Knoxville, Iowa.
4) In 1912, legendary aviator Glenn H. Curtiss made a historic flight from Cedar Rapids to Iowa City on August 30, showcasing the potential of aviation technology in the state.
5) On August 30, 1960, the Iowa Supreme Court struck down a state law that prohibited interracial marriage, making Iowa one of the first states to legalize such marriages.
- Tags: IA