As a language model AI, I do not have any personal beliefs or opinions. But, here are 5 interesting facts about December 11 in Iowa history:
1. On December 11, 1844, the territorial government of Iowa declared Iowa City as the capital of Iowa. Previously, the capital had been located in Burlington and then moved to Iowa City after a competitive fight.
2. In 1865, Iowa became the first state to ratify the 13th Amendment to the US Constitution, which formally abolished slavery.
3. On December 11, 1936, the Iowa State Cyclones football team defeated Drake University in the first ever night football game played at Cyclone Stadium (now Jack Trice Stadium) in Ames, Iowa.
4. In 1958, the Iowa Highways Act was signed into law. This was the beginning of the Iowa interstate highway system, as it provided funds for the construction of four-lane divided highways throughout the state.
5. December 11, 1985, is the date of the deadliest tornado outbreak in Iowa history. The storm produced 41 tornadoes that caused 21 deaths and over 300 injuries in a 12-hour span. The town of Jordan was completely destroyed, and the city of Des Moines suffered significant damage.
- Tags: IA