1. On December 12, 1787, Pennsylvania became the second state to ratify the United States Constitution, just behind Delaware. This historic event marked a major step towards the formation of the federal government.
2. The first successful parachute jump in the United States was made on December 12, 1913, in Lancaster, Pennsylvania by a woman named Georgia "Tiny" Broadwick. She made over 1,000 jumps in her lifetime and was known as the "doll girl" due to her diminutive size.
3. Pennsylvania's first ski lift opened on December 12, 1936, at Bear Creek Mountain Resort in the Lehigh Valley. The lift was built by the Kunkletown Rod and Gun Club, which still owns and operates the resort today.
4. The famous 65-foot-tall Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center was donated by a family from Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania on December 12, 1951. The tree was airlifted to New York City by helicopter and became a beloved holiday tradition.
5. Pennsylvania native Bill Cosby was found guilty of sexual assault on December 12, 2018, and was sentenced to three to 10 years in prison. This marked the downfall of the beloved comedian and actor who had been accused of sexual assault by dozens of women over several decades.
5 Fun Facts About December 12 In Pennsylvania History
---Learn Every Day: PA Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history pa To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: PA
← Older Post Newer Post →