Here are 5 interesting facts about December 14 in Iowa history:
1. On December 14, 1847, Iowa became the 29th state to join the United States. Prior to its statehood, Iowa was part of the Northwest Territory and then the Iowa Territory.
2. On December 14, 1857, the Iowa State Agricultural Society met in Iowa City and established the first State Fair, which has continued to be held annually ever since.
3. On December 14, 1862, the Battle of Prairie Grove took place during the Civil War. Iowa troops played a significant role in this battle, which resulted in a Union victory.
4. On December 14, 1885, the first building of the University of Iowa Hospital was completed. Today, the hospital is a comprehensive medical center that serves patients from across the Midwest.
5. On December 14, 2015, flooding hit Iowa City and other parts of Eastern Iowa, causing significant damage to homes and businesses. The flooding was caused by heavy rains that fell on already-saturated ground.
- Tags: IA