1. On December 14, 1910, the first airplane flight in North Carolina took place. Orville Wright piloted the airplane, which was built by the Wright brothers, in a demonstration for potential investors.
2. In 1849, on December 14, North Carolina's State Capitol building in Raleigh was destroyed by fire. The building was eventually rebuilt and still stands today as a National Historic Landmark.
3. On December 14, 1875, the first game of intercollegiate football played in the South was held in Raleigh between the University of North Carolina and the Raleigh Male Academy. UNC won the game 2-1.
4. The town of Mount Olive, North Carolina, was incorporated on December 14, 1903. The town is known for its production of pickles and is home to the Mt. Olive Pickle Company.
5. On December 14, 1787, North Carolina became the 12th state to ratify the United States Constitution. The state had initially refused to ratify the document but eventually agreed to do so after several amendments were added.
- Tags: NC