1. North Carolina became the 12th state to ratify the United States Constitution on December 17, 1787, marking a significant milestone in the state's history.
2. On December 17, 1903, the Wright Brothers successfully completed the first powered flight at Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina. This event is now celebrated nationally as Wright Brothers Day.
3. The Battle of White Marsh, a crucial engagement in the Revolutionary War, took place on December 17, 1777. Although the British army was ultimately successful, the American forces inflicted significant casualties and delayed the enemy's advance towards Philadelphia.
4. The North Carolina Constitution was adopted on December 17, 1868, following the end of the Civil War and the beginning of the Reconstruction era. This document granted voting rights to African Americans and established a more democratic government.
5. December 17, 1982 marked the opening of the North Carolina Museum of Art in Raleigh. The museum houses a renowned collection of European and American art, as well as a number of outdoor sculptures and installations.
- Tags: NC