1. On December 18, 1970, the Oregon Department of Transportation opened the Mount Hood Highway, also known as Highway 26. This highway connects Portland to the mountain resorts and communities of the Mount Hood National Forest.
2. In 1850, the first issue of the Oregonian newspaper was published on December 18. It is still in circulation today and is the oldest continuously published newspaper on the West Coast.
3. The Oregon State Capitol was dedicated on December 18, 1938. The building features an art deco design and houses the offices of the Governor, Secretary of State, and the State Legislature.
4. On December 18, 1979, the Oregon Ducks football team won their first ever bowl game, defeating the Colorado Buffaloes in the Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl in Houston, Texas.
5. The City of Salem was founded on December 18, 1842. It serves as the state capital and is located in the heart of the Willamette Valley, known for its wineries and agriculture.
5 Fun Facts About December 18 In Oregon History
---Learn Every Day: OR Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history or To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OR
← Older Post Newer Post →