1. On December 18, 1787, Pennsylvania became the second state to ratify the United States Constitution. The state’s ratification played a crucial role in the establishment of the federal government and the formation of the United States.
2. On December 18, 1895, the first documented automobile accident occurred in the United States in New York City, however, it is believed that the first automobile accident in Pennsylvania took place in Philadelphia in 1898.
3. Pennsylvania native and literary icon, John Updike was born on December 18, 1932 in Reading, Pennsylvania. Updike is best known for his novels including “Rabbit, Run” and “The Witches of Eastwick”.
4. On December 18, 1972, the Pittsburgh Steelers defeated the Oakland Raiders in the AFC championship game, advancing to the Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history. The Steelers went on to lose Super Bowl VII to the Miami Dolphins.
5. December 18, 2018 marked the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 8 mission, which carried three astronauts to orbit the moon for the first time. Pennsylvania played a role in the mission, as parts for the lunar modules were manufactured in the state.
5 Fun Facts About December 18 In Pennsylvania History
---Learn Every Day: PA Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history pa To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: PA
← Older Post Newer Post →