1. In 1776, the city of Newport was occupied by British troops during the American Revolutionary War.
2. In 1899, the Rhode Island Hospital was incorporated as a nonprofit institution.
3. In 1926, the first female governor in the United States, Nellie Tayloe Ross of Wyoming, visited Rhode Island and spoke at a women's suffrage rally in Providence.
4. In 1956, the Newport Bridge officially opened, spanning the Narragansett Bay and connecting Newport and Jamestown.
5. In 2003, the Rhode Island Board of Elections certified the results of the 2002 gubernatorial election, which had been contested due to allegations of voting irregularities. Democrat Don Carcieri was declared the winner over incumbent Republican Robert A. Laffey.
5 Fun Facts About December 18 In Rhode Island History
---Learn Every Day: RI Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ri To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: RI
← Older Post Newer Post →