1. The Wright Brothers' First Flight: On December 17, 1903, at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, Orville Wright takes off on the first powered airplane flight.
2. Nation's First State-Owned Art Museum Founded: On December 6, 1947, the North Carolina General Assembly passed legislation providing for the establishment of the first state-owned art museum in the country, marking a significant achievement in cultural history.
3. Carolina Panthers Win Franchise's First Game: On December 24, 1995, the Carolina Panthers won their first-ever NFL game, defeating the New York Jets 26-15 in front of a crowd of 50,000 at the Charlotte stadium.
4. Duke University Founded: On December 11, 1838, the private research university Duke University was founded by Methodists and Quakers in present-day Durham, North Carolina.
5. Blackbeard's Death: On November 22, 1718, pirate Blackbeard was killed in a battle with British naval forces off the coast of present-day Ocracoke Island, North Carolina. His death signaled the end of the Golden Age of Piracy in the Atlantic.
- Tags: NC