1. On December 21, 1635, Roger Williams was expelled from the Massachusetts Bay Colony and took refuge with the Narragansett Indians, eventually founding the settlement of Providence, Rhode Island.
2. The Battle of Great Swamp, a key event in King Philip's War, occurred on December 21, 1675, in South Kingstown, Rhode Island. English soldiers and Indian allies fought against Narragansett warriors in a brutal conflict that resulted in hundreds of fatalities.
3. The Winter Solstice occurs on December 21, marking the shortest day and longest night of the year. In Rhode Island, this day is often celebrated with events like Solstice Lantern Walks and Winter Solstice Yoga.
4. The Newport, Rhode Island Christmas Parade has been held on December 21 several times over the years, including in 2014 and 2019. The parade features festive floats, marching bands, and appearances by Santa Claus and other holiday characters.
5. On December 21, 1985, the Rhode Island National Guard participated in Operation Red Dragon, a joint exercise with the U.S. Navy, simulating a response to a mock Soviet invasion of Rhode Island. The exercise involved over 3000 participants and was intended to test military preparedness and cooperation between different branches of the armed forces.
5 Fun Facts About December 21 In Rhode Island History
---Learn Every Day: RI Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ri To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: RI
← Older Post Newer Post →