1. On December 24, 1910, the town of Tulsa experienced its largest explosion at the time when a natural gas well ignited. The explosion and ensuing fire destroyed numerous buildings and claimed the lives of multiple people.
2. In 1906, the Marland Oil Company was founded in Ponca City, Oklahoma, by E.W. Marland. This company would go on to become one of the largest oil companies in the world.
3. On December 24, 1939, the first commercial passenger flight departed from Oklahoma City's Will Rogers World Airport. The flight was operated by American Airlines and traveled to Dallas, Texas.
4. In 2008, the Oklahoma City Thunder, formerly known as the Seattle SuperSonics, played their first game on December 24 as a new franchise in Oklahoma City. They lost to the Houston Rockets 98-109.
5. On December 24, 1924, the last known survivor of the Washita Massacre, a Cheyenne woman named Going Snake, passed away at the age of 102. The massacre, which occurred in 1868, was an attack by the U.S. Army on a Cheyenne camp and resulted in the deaths of over 100 Cheyenne, including women and children.
5 Fun Facts About December 24 In Oklahoma History
---Learn Every Day: OK Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ok To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OK
← Older Post Newer Post →