December 26 may not be a widely celebrated day in Indiana history, but there are still some interesting facts and events that have occurred on this day:
1. In 1823, the Wabash and Erie Canal Company was formed in Indiana. This canal was one of the largest in the world, stretching over 460 miles and connecting Lake Erie to the Ohio River.
2. In 1862, the Battle of Chickasaw Bayou began near Vicksburg, Mississippi. Indiana soldiers played a significant role in this battle, which was part of the larger campaign to capture the important Confederate stronghold of Vicksburg.
3. In 1936, the first recorded football game played in a dome stadium took place in Indianapolis. The game was between the West Baden Sprudels and the Rockville Legion, and it was played at the new Hoosier Dome.
4. In 1967, Indiana Governor Roger Branigin signed a bill that created the Indiana Dunes State Park. This park covers over 2,000 acres along Lake Michigan and is home to a diverse array of flora and fauna.
5. In 2015, Indiana became the 23rd state to legalize medical marijuana. Governor Mike Pence signed the bill into law on this day, which allowed patients with certain medical conditions to access cannabis-based treatments.
- Tags: IN