1. On December 26, 1776, the Battle of Trenton occurred during the American Revolutionary War. Although Trenton is located in New Jersey, soldiers from North Carolina played a crucial role in this victory for the Continental Army.
2. December 26, 1855, marked the birth of James B. Duke, a businessman and philanthropist who played a significant role in the development of the tobacco industry in North Carolina. He also established Duke University, which is located in Durham.
3. In 1862, Confederate and Union forces clashed in the Battle of Kinston in Lenoir County, North Carolina. The battle resulted in a Confederate victory and is remembered as a significant event in the Civil War.
4. December 26, 1908, marked the opening of the Wright Brothers National Memorial in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The memorial commemorates the pioneering flight of Orville and Wilbur Wright, who made the first successful powered flight in 1903.
5. On December 26, 1999, North Carolina was hit by a massive winter storm that brought heavy snow and ice to much of the state. The storm caused widespread power outages and disrupted travel for several days. Despite the challenges posed by the storm, many North Carolinians came together to help their communities and neighbors.
- Tags: NC