1. On December 29, 1858, Charles Morton officially established the town of Denver City, which would later become the capital of Colorado.
2. In 1915, the deadliest avalanche in Colorado history occurred on December 29 near the town of Gothic. The avalanche killed seven people and buried several structures.
3. On December 29, 1978, the Denver Broncos made their first appearance in the NFL playoffs. They defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers but ultimately lost in the Super Bowl to the Dallas Cowboys.
4. In 2003, the 40th anniversary of the completion of Dillon Reservoir was celebrated on December 29. The reservoir is a major source of water for Denver and the surrounding areas.
5. On December 29, 2012, Colorado experienced its warmest December on record, with average temperatures almost 7 degrees Fahrenheit above normal.
- Tags: CO