1. On December 3, 1955, the first meeting of the Iowa State Board of Regents was held in Des Moines. The board was responsible for overseeing the state's public universities and colleges.
2. In 1850, the first county fair in Iowa was held in Muscatine on December 3. The fair featured livestock exhibitions and agricultural displays.
3. On December 3, 1939, the Ames Laboratory at Iowa State University was established. The laboratory played a key role in the development of atomic energy and nuclear weapons during World War II.
4. The Iowa State Capitol Building in Des Moines was completed on December 3, 1884. The building features a central dome topped by a gold leaf statue of the goddess of liberty.
5. On December 3, 1978, Chuck Long of the University of Iowa set the record for the most touchdown passes in a single game by a college football quarterback. Long threw seven touchdown passes in a victory over Indiana University.
- Tags: IA