Here are 5 interesting facts about December 8 in Indiana history:
1. On December 8, 1816, Indiana became the 19th state in the United States of America. In 2016, Indiana celebrated its bicentennial anniversary by hosting various cultural, educational, and historical events statewide.
2. December 8, 1931, marked the birth of Jim Morrison, the lead singer and lyricist of the iconic rock band, The Doors. Morrison was born in Melbourne, Florida, but his parents moved to various military bases across the country, including Fort Benjamin Harrison in Indiana, before settling in California.
3. December 8, 1941, was the fateful day when the United States entered World War II after the bombing of Pearl Harbor by the Japanese. Many Hoosiers joined the army, navy, air force, and marine corps to fight for their country's freedom and democracy.
4. December 8, 1954, saw the debut of the classic Christmas movie, "White Christmas," starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, and Vera Ellen. The film features the song "White Christmas," written by Irving Berlin, which became one of the best-selling singles of all time.
5. December 8, 1980, was the tragic day when John Lennon, the legendary singer, songwriter, and peace activist, was fatally shot in New York City by Mark David Chapman. Lennon had a profound impact on music, culture, and politics worldwide, and his legacy continues to inspire many people.
- Tags: IN