1. Rhode Island was founded by Roger Williams in 1636. February 15, 1636 is considered the traditional date of the founding of Rhode Island.
2. On February 15, 1781, the Continental Congress appointed John Sullivan as the new commander-in-chief of the Continental Army's northern department. Sullivan had previously been a general in the Continental Army and had led a failed invasion of British-held Canada.
3. On February 15, 1802, the US Military Academy at West Point was established by an act of Congress. The academy was originally intended to train engineers for military service.
4. On February 15, 1820, Rhode Island became the last of the original 13 colonies to ratify the US Constitution. The state had been reluctant to do so, fearing that it would lose its independence and be subject to federal authority.
5. On February 15, 1933, the Rhode Island General Assembly approved a bill to repeal the state's prohibition laws, making it the first state to do so since the ratification of the 21st Amendment to the US Constitution. The repeal went into effect on April 1, 1933.
5 Fun Facts About February 15 In Rhode Island History
---Learn Every Day: RI Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ri To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: RI
← Older Post Newer Post →