1. On February 16, 1901, Oklahoma City was incorporated as a city. It had previously been a town since its founding in 1889.
2. In 1915, the first state highway bond issue was approved by Oklahoma voters on February 16. This paved the way for the development of a statewide network of highways and roads.
3. On February 16, 1936, oil was discovered in the Osage Indian Reservation in north-central Oklahoma. This led to a boom in oil production and a significant increase in the wealth of the Osage Nation and its members.
4. In 1982, the Oklahoma State Capitol building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 16. The building, which was completed in 1917, is considered one of the best examples of Classical Revival architecture in the United States.
5. On February 16, 2000, the Oklahoma City Thunder played their first ever game as a franchise. They were then known as the Seattle SuperSonics and played against the Los Angeles Lakers in Oklahoma City. The Thunder relocated to Oklahoma City permanently in 2008.
5 Fun Facts About February 16 In Oklahoma History
---Learn Every Day: OK Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ok To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OK
← Older Post Newer Post →