1. In 1848, the Oregon Territory was established with the signing of the Oregon Treaty between the United States and Great Britain, which set the boundary between Oregon and British North America at the 49th parallel. This paved the way for Oregon's eventual statehood in 1859.
2. On February 19, 1851, the first wagon train arrived in Oregon City, marking the end of the Oregon Trail. The trail had been used by thousands of pioneers to travel west to Oregon and other western states during the mid-19th century.
3. In 1900, the first interurban electric railway in Oregon began service between Portland and Oregon City. The railway, which was originally called the Portland Traction Company, played an important role in the development of the Portland metropolitan area.
4. On February 19, 1922, the first radio station in Oregon, KFDJ, began broadcasting in Portland. The station eventually became KEX, one of Portland's oldest and most popular radio stations.
5. In 1972, the Portland Trail Blazers played their first game in the Memorial Coliseum, which had been built specifically for the team. The Blazers went on to win their first NBA championship in 1977, cementing their place in Oregon sports history.
5 Fun Facts About February 19 In Oregon History
---Learn Every Day: OR Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history or To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OR
← Older Post Newer Post →