1. In 1849, Iowa City was designated as the permanent capital of Iowa. Prior to this, different cities had served as the capital on a rotating basis.
2. In 1861, the Iowa State University was officially established, originally named the Iowa Agricultural College and Model Farm.
3. On February 28, 1914, the Iowa state legislature ratified the 16th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which gave Congress the power to impose federal income taxes.
4. In 1939, the Iowa Supreme Court issued a landmark ruling in the case of State v. Duffy, which affirmed the right to a fair trial and paved the way for subsequent reforms in criminal justice.
5. In 1966, the University of Northern Iowa (UNI) officially changed its name from Iowa State Teachers College to reflect its broader mission and academic offerings.
- Tags: IA