1. On February 28, 1681, King Charles II of England granted a charter to William Penn, which established the Pennsylvania colony.
2. In 1815, the Bank of Pennsylvania was established in Philadelphia. It was the first bank founded in the state.
3. On February 28, 1864, the Battle of Olustee took place in Florida, which included troops from the Pennsylvania Infantry. It was one of the largest battles of the Civil War to take place in Florida.
4. The first U.S. fatality of the 1918 influenza pandemic was reported in Philadelphia on February 28, 1918.
5. In 1983, Pennsylvania Governor Richard Thornburgh issued an apology to the family of the MOVE bombing victims, which took place on May 13, 1985. The bombing resulted in the deaths of 11 people and destroyed 61 homes in West Philadelphia. The apology was issued on February 28, 1983.
5 Fun Facts About February 28 In Pennsylvania History
---Learn Every Day: PA Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history pa To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: PA
← Older Post Newer Post →