1. In 1839, the provisional government of the Oregon Territory was established. This government was set up by a small group of settlers who wanted to create a stable system of law and order in the region.
2. On February 5, 1885, the University of Oregon was founded in Eugene, Oregon. Today, the university is one of the premier institutions of higher education in the Pacific Northwest.
3. In 1929, the Oregon State Capitol building was completed. The building features a distinctive gold dome that can be seen from miles away.
4. On February 5, 1947, the Oregon State Police was formed. The agency serves as the primary law enforcement agency for the state and is responsible for protecting the public, investigating crimes, and providing security for state government officials.
5. In 1962, Oregon became the first state in the nation to enact a bottle deposit law. The law required a five-cent deposit on all beer and soft drink containers sold in the state, in order to encourage recycling and reduce litter. Today, bottle deposit laws are in effect in 10 states across the country.
5 Fun Facts About February 5 In Oregon History
---Learn Every Day: OR Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history or To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OR
← Older Post Newer Post →