1. Rhode Island was founded on February 6, 1636 by Roger Williams. He left the Massachusetts Bay Colony and established a settlement on the banks of the Providence River. Williams believed in religious tolerance and individual freedom, and his colony became a haven for those seeking those ideals.
2. The Rhode Island branch of the NAACP was founded on February 6, 1917. The organization has been working to ensure equality and civil rights for all people ever since.
3. On February 6, 1938, the Rhode Island State House was officially dedicated. The impressive building boasts marble floors, granite walls, and a towering dome. It serves as the seat of government for the state of Rhode Island.
4. February 6, 1988 marked the opening of the Providence Place Mall, a shopping center located in downtown Providence. The mall features over 130 stores and restaurants, as well as a multiplex movie theater.
5. In 2003, on February 6, the Rhode Island Supreme Court ruled that gay and lesbian couples have the same rights to marry as heterosexual couples. Despite this ruling, same-sex marriage was not legally recognized in the state until 2013, following the passage of the Marriage Equality Act.
5 Fun Facts About February 6 In Rhode Island History
---Learn Every Day: RI Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ri To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: RI
← Older Post Newer Post →