1. In 1881, the first regularly scheduled passenger train arrived in Bismarck, North Dakota. The Northern Pacific Railroad was instrumental in the development of the state.
2. In 1910, the town of Napoleon, North Dakota was incorporated. The town was named after Napoleon Bonaparte and was originally settled by German immigrants.
3. In 1935, the State of North Dakota approved the creation of the North Dakota Highway Patrol. Today, the NDHP is responsible for enforcing traffic laws, responding to emergencies, and providing assistance to motorists.
4. In 1954, the University of North Dakota hockey team won its first ever NCAA National Championship. The team would go on to win 7 more championships in the following decades.
5. In 2016, Super Bowl XXVI MVP Mark Rypien was inducted into the North Dakota Sports Hall of Fame. Rypien, a native of Spokane, Washington, played college football at Washington State before being drafted by the Washington Redskins in 1986.
- Tags: ND