1. In 1954, the Rhode Island Senate voted to approve the construction of the Newport Bridge. The bridge, which was completed in 1969, spans the East Passage of Narragansett Bay and connects Newport with Jamestown.
2. On February 8, 1861, the Rhode Island General Assembly passed a resolution expressing support for the Union during the American Civil War. Rhode Island was one of five states to respond to President Abraham Lincoln's call for troops to put down the rebellion.
3. In 1907, the Providence Journal reported that a proposal had been made to establish a national park in the area around Mount Hope Bay in Bristol County. The park was never established, but the area is now part of the Mount Hope Bay Wildlife Management Area.
4. The first Providence Auto Show was held on February 8, 1908, at Industrial Hall. The show featured automobiles from local dealerships and manufacturers, as well as exhibits of related products and services.
5. On February 8, 2013, the Rhode Island Supreme Court ruled in favor of same-sex marriage. The court found that denying marriage licenses to same-sex couples violated the state's constitution. Rhode Island became the 10th state in the United States to legalize same-sex marriage.
5 Fun Facts About February 8 In Rhode Island History
---Learn Every Day: RI Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ri To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: RI
← Older Post Newer Post →