1. In 1948, the first recorded tornado outbreak in February occurred in Indiana, with 11 tornadoes striking the state.
2. In 1825, the first Indiana State Capitol building was officially opened in Indianapolis, which was then a small village with a population of only 1,000 people.
3. On February 9, 1909, the first public library in Gary, Indiana was established. The library was named after Andrew Carnegie, who provided funding for its construction.
4. In 1861, the Indiana General Assembly passed a resolution stating that Indiana would remain neutral in the American Civil War. However, within a few months, Indiana began to actively support the Union cause.
5. February 9, 1850 marked the signing of the Indiana State Constitution, which established the structure and function of Indiana's government. The constitution has been amended several times over the years, but its basic framework remains unchanged.
- Tags: IN