1. On January 12, 1877, the remains of Sitting Bull's adopted son, Crow Foot, were returned to the Sioux tribe. Crow Foot had been killed during the Battle of the Little Bighorn in 1876.
2. The town of Towner, North Dakota, was founded on January 12, 1905. Named after a local politician, the town is known for its agriculture and rural setting.
3. January 12, 1917, marked the opening of the Bank of North Dakota. The nation’s only state-owned bank was created to promote economic development and support local communities.
4. The Great Plains gas station massacre occurred on January 12, 2004, in Wahpeton, North Dakota. Five people were killed at a gas station and convenience store by a man who was later apprehended and sentenced to life in prison.
5. On January 12, 2010, Fargo, North Dakota, was named the safest city in the United States by Forbes magazine. The city's low crime rates and strong community support were cited as contributing factors to its ranking.
- Tags: ND