1. In 1861, the Arkansas State Convention passed the Ordinance of Secession, which declared the state's secession from the United States and its joining of the Confederate States of America.
2. On January 17, 1911, the first Arkansas post office was established in Fort Smith by the United States Postal Service.
3. In 1964, the Ozark National Forest was established in Arkansas, encompassing over 1 million acres of land.
4. On January 17, 1979, Arkansas Governor Bill Clinton delivered his inaugural address, outlining his goals for education, economic development, and criminal justice reform.
5. In 2017, the Little Rock Nine, a group of African American students who were the first to integrate Little Rock Central High School in 1957, were honored with the inaugural Bridge Builders Award by the Little Rock School District.
- Tags: AR