1. In 1946, the Wilmington-based DuPont Company made significant advancements in the development of synthetic fibers by introducing the first commercial production of nylon.
2. The Wilmington Blue Rocks, a minor league baseball team, announced on January 17, 2020 that they would be hosting the Carolina League All-Star Game in July of that year.
3. On January 17, 1781, the Battle of Cowpens occurred during the American Revolutionary War. While not fought in Delaware, this battle proved to be strategically important for the Continental Army and helped to turn the tide of the war in their favor.
4. Delaware State University, located in Dover, was established as the State College for Colored Students on January 17, 1891. It was the first state-supported institution of higher education for black students in Delaware.
5. The Delaware Symphony Orchestra performed a concert on January 17, 2015, featuring the music of composer Arvo Pärt. The concert, held at the Grand Opera House in Wilmington, was a celebration of the composer's 80th birthday.
- Tags: DE