1. In 1937, the Willamette River flooded and caused significant damage to the city of Portland. This flood prompted the construction of dams and levees to control future flooding.
2. On January 20, 1942, the U.S. Army established the Camp Adair military base near Corvallis, Oregon. The base served as a training ground for soldiers during World War II and was later used as a prisoner of war camp.
3. In 1985, the Portland Trail Blazers defeated the Philadelphia 76ers in a historic NBA game. The Trail Blazers scored a record 47 points in the fourth quarter to win the game 141-129.
4. The Oregon Historical Society was founded on January 20, 1898. The society is dedicated to preserving and sharing the state's history through exhibits, programs, and research.
5. On January 20, 2001, the inauguration of President George W. Bush was met with protests in Portland. Demonstrators gathered in Pioneer Courthouse Square to voice their opposition to Bush's policies on the environment, civil rights, and foreign affairs.
5 Fun Facts About January 20 In Oregon History
---Learn Every Day: OR Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history or To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OR
← Older Post Newer Post →