1. On January 22, 1912, the famous pilot and aviation pioneer Amelia Earhart was hired at a salary of $100 per month to work as a stenographer and photographer at the A.T. Stewart Co. department store in Kansas City, Kansas. This was one of her earliest jobs, and it helped finance her flying lessons and purchase her first airplane.
2. On January 22, 1861, the Wyandotte Constitution was ratified in Wyandotte, Kansas. This constitution established the state's government and legal system, and helped pave the way for Kansas's eventual admission to the union as a free state.
3. On January 22, 1930, the first radio broadcast of a basketball game in Kansas was aired. The game featured the University of Kansas Jayhawks playing against the Kansas State Wildcats, and was broadcast over WREN Radio in Lawrence, Kansas.
4. On January 22, 1884, the first electric streetcar in Kansas began operating in Topeka. The streetcar ran on a route from the east side of Topeka to the city's downtown area, and was powered by overhead electric lines.
5. On January 22, 1865, the Battle of Brush Creek occurred near Topeka, Kansas. This skirmish was part of General Sterling Price's raid into Missouri and Kansas during the American Civil War, and resulted in a Confederate victory. However, the Confederate forces were ultimately driven back and defeated a few days later at the Battle of Mine Creek.
- Tags: KS