1. The Gettysburg Address Monument was Dedicated in 1917: On January 23, 1917, a monument was dedicated in Gettysburg to commemorate Abraham Lincoln's famous Gettysburg Address, which he delivered during the American Civil War. The monument is located at the site where Lincoln delivered the speech on November 19, 1863.
2. Benjamin Franklin was Born in Boston: Though he is most commonly associated with Philadelphia, Benjamin Franklin was actually born in Boston, Massachusetts on January 23, 1706. However, he did eventually move to Philadelphia, where he became one of the city's most important and influential figures.
3. Pennsylvania Became a State: January 23 also marks the anniversary of Pennsylvania becoming a state. On January 23, 1788, the state was officially ratified and admitted to the United States of America.
4. The First Recorded Automobile Accident in America Occurred in Pennsylvania: On January 23, 1899, the first automobile accident on record in the United States occurred in New York City. However, the first recorded automobile accident involving a pedestrian occurred in Pennsylvania on the same day. A woman named Mrs. Henry Bliss was hit by a taxi while she was crossing the street, and she later died from her injuries.
5. The State Takes Action to Address Climate Change: On January 23, 2019, Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf signed an executive order establishing the state's first-ever statewide climate action plan. The plan aims to reduce the state's greenhouse gas emissions and protect it from the impacts of climate change. The order also creates the GreenGov Council, which will coordinate sustainability efforts throughout state government.
5 Fun Facts About January 23 In Pennsylvania History
---Learn Every Day: PA Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history pa To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: PA
← Older Post Newer Post →