1. On January 27, 1790, North Carolina became the 12th state to ratify the United States Constitution, joining the young nation's federal system just three years after gaining statehood.
2. In 1863, the Battle of Walthall Junction was fought in Virginia during the American Civil War. Many North Carolina soldiers fought in this battle, which resulted in a Confederate victory.
3. January 27, 1905, saw the birth of Howard Cosell, a renowned sports journalist and broadcaster who rose to fame in the 1960s and 1970s for his outspoken commentary and critique of the sports industry.
4. 1971 marked the opening of the North Carolina Zoological Park in Asheboro, providing visitors from across the state and beyond with an opportunity to see and learn about animals from around the world in a natural, managed habitat.
5. On January 27, 2019, North Carolina played host to one of the most unusual animal sightings in recent memory: a rare African watusi bull, gifted to a farm owner by her husband, became an online sensation as images and videos of the massive bovine roaming free in the state went viral.
- Tags: NC